Kevin Doyle on VAR, winter breaks and this weekend’s games
On VAR in the Premier League
I am personally totally against VAR but now that it is in, it is here to stay. I don’t think it benefits the Premier League whatsoever.
Football is the most popular sport in the world because it allows the fans to be passionate and to get emotional at games. They can have their own opinion during the games, ‘was it a penalty or not?’.
The fans arguing over a decision is what creates the atmosphere in the ground and now all of that is taken away whilst we sit and wait for a decision to be made. One of which, nobody knows is correct or not.
It seems as though we are trying to be like Rugby or American Football when we are neither of those things.
We are football, and the reason why it is the most popular sport in the world is down to the passion the fans show for their team. Why change and desensitise football when there was nothing wrong with it to begin with!
If they are to carry on with VAR it needs to be quicker and more efficient. If I was a striker, I would get so frustrated because you can’t even celebrate a goal without having doubts.
For what it costs, they could have allowed an extra referee at games to give the referee an extra set of eyes on the pitch and to hope that better decisions would be made as a result.
On the Premier League Winter Break
I think the winter break is great. When I was playing, if you played International football you maybe got two, three weeks off maximum at the end of the season which is not the way it should be. You need some time off to not only rest your body but most importantly your mind.
I am not sure about having the break in February as it is a good bit into the second half of the season and people are starting to count down to the final games.
I feel a month earlier would have been more beneficial. Let the players get the FA Cup third round out of the way and then go on the Winter Break for two weeks.
Apart from the timing, I think it is a good thing which I would have loved when I was playing. It is a tough long season with European and International games and Championships coming up in the summer, so the break is needed for the players to rest and recuperate.
Premier League Fixtures
Brighton v Watford, Saturday, 17:30
Heading into this game; both teams are under a lot of pressure. We are at that point in the season where every point counts, so I can see this being a cagey game.
Both teams are within touching distance of each other with Watford being in the bottom three after a massive blow last weekend.
Having been 2-0 up against Everton and then losing 3-2, they will be brewing on this all week as that win would have gotten them out of the bottom three. They need to get over this result that and move on fast!
Brighton on the other hand haven’t been performing to a high standard all season. Having signed Graham Potter in May 2019, the team’s style of play has changed, and they are still adapting to this. They are where I expect them to be for the players they have. I think it will be a tight score draw.
Sheffield Utd v Bournemouth, Sunday, 14:00
I think Sheffield Utd have the upper hand heading into this game. They have absolutely no pressure on them and I think they have been performing fantastically this season.
I had expected to see a drop off from them after Christmas as I didn’t think they would be able to keep that high level of performance up. But I have been pleasantly proven wrong!
I can’t see Bournemouth going to Bramall Lane and getting something out of the game. Bramall Lane is a Sheffield Utd domain, it is not a nice play to go for an away team.
But for Sheffield Utd and its players, it is a great stadium with a great atmosphere. They have the advantage of playing at home which will be intimidating for Bournemouth.
Prediction: 2-0 Sheffield Utd < My best value bet this weekend!
Man City v West Ham, Sunday, 16:30
Man City performed excellently in the first half against Tottenham last weekend. When you look at the stats, they were ahead in every department.
I think they got frustrated the longer the game went on and Spurs capitalised on this. Sometimes it doesn’t come down to what the team has done wrong, the ball just wasn’t going their way on the day.
Looking ahead to this weekend’s game, Man City are definitely the stronger side. I think this is a game West Ham need to forget about.
I see them living to fight another day, but they should concentrate on the other important games and teams around them in the table.
Prediction: 3-1 Man City
My 1-2-FREE PREDICTION
Brighton v Watford: 1-1
Sheffield Utd v Bournemouth: 2-0
Man City v West Ham: 3-1
My Five-Fold ACCA
Man City v West Ham: Man City win
Sheffield Utd v Bournemouth: Sheffield Utd win
Everton v Crystal Palace: Everton win
Blackburn v Fulham: Blackburn win
Reading v Hull City: Reading win
1. This Sports Promotion is available weekly to qualifying customers from 00:00 Monday 29th August until further notice on the Ladbrokes Mobile app and mobile web only. If we decide to withdraw this Sports Promotion, this will not impact any Qualifying Bets you have placed during the Promotional Period before such withdrawal.
WHO QUALIFIES FOR THIS SPORTS PROMOTION
2. This Sports Promotion is open to new and existing customers aged 18 years or over with accounts registered in the UK&/or Republic of Ireland, using the Mobile App or Mobile Web.
3. This Sports Promotion is not available to customers who open new accounts depositing funds with PayPal Moneybookers, Paysafe, Neteller or Skrill.
4. Employees of the Promoter, any advertising agency or web company connected with the promoter or any such person’s agents or members of their families or households, are not eligible to participate in this Sports Promotion. The Promoter reserves the right to verify the eligibility of all participants.
HOW TO CLAIM THIS SPORTS PROMOTION
5. This is a free to enter sports promotion available on the Ladbrokes Sports App and Mobile Web only. Simply predict the correct score of the selected matches (90 mins only) on the 1-2 Free game to win a prize as detailed in term 7.
6. Predictions must be entered before kick-off of the first game played. Any entries after kick off will not be eligible.
7. Prizes are broken down as follows:
Predict 3 out of 3 correct scores and you will win £/€100 cash in your account.
Predict 2 out of 3 correct scores and you will win a £/€5 free bet.
Predict 1 out of 3 correct scores and you will win a £/€1 free bet.
8. If for any reason a match listed as part of 1-2-Free is abandoned (void) the prizes of the games will be as follows:
One void selection: £/€5 free bet (2 correct)
Two void selections: £/€1 free bet (1 correct)
Three void selections: No game has taken place and no Prizes are awarded.
9. There will be a maximum of 1 entry per customer per game week.
RESTRICTIONS ON YOUR FREE BET
10. Should you successfully win a free bet or cash this will be credited within 24 hours of the last game finishing.
11. Your free bet must be used within 7 days of it being credited to your account, otherwise it will expire.
12. Free bets cannot be redeemed for cash at any time.
13. Your free bet must be wagered as a single bet on any Sports market.
14. Please note that the value of your free bet will not be included in any winnings.
15. Your free bet is not returned if your free bet wager becomes void.
17. To withdraw the cash from your account you can do so once it’s credited however your account must be fully verified.
18. The same Maximum Pay Out restrictions set out in our General Website Terms & Conditions will equally apply to this Sports Promotion.
19. Promoter: LC International Limited.
20. This Sports Promotion cannot be used in conjunction with any other www.ladbrokes.com Sports Promotion.
21. We reserve the right to change or end any Sports Promotion, if required for legal and/or regulatory reasons.
22. If you have made one or more Qualifying Bets in relation to this Sports Promotion and your betting levels are subsequently restricted by us, we will make sure that this will not materially affect your ability to satisfy the conditions to qualify for this Sports Promotion (if applicable) or to fully benefit from the free bets available.
23. Ladbrokes is operated by LC International Limited (Suite 6, Atlantic Suites, Gibraltar) and licensed (ref 54743) and regulated by the British Gambling Commission for persons gambling in Great Britain. For persons gambling outside Great Britain, Ladbrokes is licensed (ref 010, 012) by the Government of Gibraltar and regulated by the Gibraltar Gambling Commissioner.
PLEASE BET RESPONSIBLY. gambleaware.co.uk