10 mind-boggling facts about Arsene Wenger’s 20-year reign
September 30 1996 is the last day in history when Arsene Wenger wasn’t Arsenal manager.
That’s a heck of a long time and as the Frenchman celebrates 20 years at the Gunners’ helm, we’ve been trying to work out just what has happened on Earth in that time.
It turns out that quite a lot has gone on since Wenger packed his bags at Nagoya Grampus Eight and hopped on a flight to London, thus changing the course of Arsenal’s history forever more.
Wenger has led the Gunners to three Premier League titles, a record-breaking six FA Cups, six Community Shields, two doubles and of course, that invincibles season.
So to get our heads around Wenger’s superb tenure, here’s what the world was like on the day before he took over at Arsenal…
- – Sir Alex Ferguson was closing in on ten years at Manchester United
- – Marcus Rashford’s birth was over a year away
- – The original Wimbledon FC would be a Premier League team for another four years
- – John Major was Prime Minister and Bill Clinton was US President
- – Deep Blue Something were #1 with ‘Breakfast at Tiffany’s’
- – Justin Bieber was 18 months old
- – Twitter wouldn’t be invented for another nine and a half years
- – Apple’s share price was around 0.80USD, today it’s over 112USD
- – FIFA 97 had just come out, featuring David Ginola on the cover. Francesco Totti is the only remaining outfield player from the game.
- – Pokemon was released on GameBoy but was only available in Japan
The world is a very different place today, but one thing remains the same – Arsene Wenger is manager of Arsenal.
All Odds and Markets are correct as of the date of publishing