Farage mobbed as he places £1,000 Brexit wager in Ladbrokes shop
Nigel Farage has put his money where his mouth is by placing a £1,000 bet on Brexit this afternoon.
Former City trader Farage placed the bet at our Moorgate branch after noticing the odds of Britain leaving Europe had fallen significantly, following thousands of political punters who have forced the price of a Leave outcome in to 5/2 (from 9/2) in a matter of days.
If successful, the UKIP leader will pick up £3,500 in total including his stake.
According to our Brexit Barometer, the current likelihood of a Leave win is 27 per cent, with Remain – the long term favourite – still odds-on at 3/10 (73 per cent chance).
Farage told an assembled audience: “The odds are moving in our favour and I’m very confident I’ll be back after the Referendum to collect my winnings.”
Alex Donohue of Ladbrokes said: “We’ve seen plenty of large Remain wagers in our city branches, but this is the biggest Leave bet placed so who better to part with the cash than Farage? While the odds are still stacked against him, he is confident he’ll be returning to pick up some cash to pay for the independence beers in a few weeks.”
The prominent Leave campaigner certainly attracted attention but, like the rest of us, he’ll have to wait until the vote on June 23 to see if his confidence is well-placed.
— Nigel Farage (@Nigel_Farage) June 2, 2016
Head to our dedicated EU Referendum site for the latest market moves, insight and analysis.
All Odds and Markets are correct as of the date of publishing.