Fitba Crazy Week Five – Hibernian
Welcome along to the fifth in our weekly series of Fitba Crazy, a celebration of good old fashioned terrace banter and a chance for fans north of the border to test their tartan trivia.
We’ll be taking you around the grounds, stopping off to chat with fans of all 42 SPFL clubs.
How much do supporters in Scotland really know about their clubs and the national team?
We’re going to find out as we get closer to the fans across all four divisions of the SPFL.
In the hot seat this week is Stuart McClelland as he tells us about his beloved Hibees.
He’s been sharing with us his passion for Hibs and testing his knowledge of all things ‘fitba’…
– Describe your club in three words? Frustrating, brilliant, mine.
– Any pre-match superstitions? Not really. I always buy myself a half-time draw ticket from the same place but that’s been as unsuccessful as Hibs in the last few years.
– Best away day and why? I like Ibrox. There’s a real siege mentality being stuck away in the corner, and a win there is always memorable, especially a 3-0 win!
– Why is your club better than every other club? Of course i’m biased but we just are. We have a unique history, have had some genuinely great players, a fine European pedigree and through it all we have a hardcore section of fans who stick with the club through ups and downs. There have been a lot of lows over the years but that just makes the highs even better when they come along.
– What’s the single best thing about Scottish football? The number of people who watch the game up here relative to the population is impressive. You have thousands of hugely passionate fans who turn up week in week out knowing their team is never going to win the big prize. Also, geographically speaking nowhere is that far away for an away day.
– Best and worst player you have witnessed in your clubs shirt? Best would have to be Franck Sauzee, the man was different class. Worst is slightly harder, there have been a few to choose from, but as a goalkeeper both Tony Caig and Zibi Malkowski still give me nightmares.
– Best chant you have heard on the terraces? Stevie Fulton was taking some pelters from the old east stand at Easter Road about his looks. He reacted to the abuse and was booked. Cue a rendition of ‘booked for being ugly, oh you got booked for being ugly’. In all fairness he took it in good spirits.
– Which player from your division would you like in your team? Lee Wallace. Painful as it is to say given the clubs he has played for. He’s a very good footballer.
– Side you enjoy beating the most and why? Has to be Hearts. Sadly it doesn’t happen as often as it did in previous eras but it’s the one you want to win more than any.
– What is the funniest thing you have witnessed at a football match? A few years ago, a couple of Hibs players were caught up in a unfortunate incident outside a lap dancing club. The following Saturday one of the players involved, Tam McManus, scored the winner and proceeded to do a bit of pole dancing around the stanchion of the goal.
– What’s the most memorable game you’ve been to? The 2007 League Cup final was special. Witnessing Hibs win a trophy with all the family I’d been going to games with since three-years-old was just fantastic. Beating Rangers on penalties in the 2003 semi was also brilliant but the final didn’t quite work out as hoped.
– Matchday pie of choice – Scotch, Mince or Steak? I’m a traditionalist, Scotch.
And here’s the quiz…
1. Who appeared in a Hibs shirt in a 1990s BT advert?
Stuart: ET CORRECT!
2. Who knocked Hibs out at the semi-final stage of the inaugural European Cup in 1956?
Stuart: Stade Reims CORRECT!
3. Which three goal scorers shared the Hibs goals when they lifted the League Cup with a 5-1 victory over Kilmarnock in 2007?
Stuart: Steven Fletcher, Rob Jones and Benji CORRECT!
4. Which 2001 signing still stands as Hibs’ transfer record, at £700,000?
Stuart: Ulises De La Cruz CORRECT!
5. What was the score and who were the goal scorers in the last Edinburgh derby in April?
Stuart: 2-0 Hibs. Farid El Alagui and Jason Cummings CORRECT!
Scottish Football Section
6. Which Highland League side lost a playoff with Montrose last season and failed to reach League 2?
Stuart: Brora Rangers CORRECT!
7. Which ex-Scotland international is in charge of League 2 side Clyde?
Stuart: Barry Ferguson CORRECT!
8. Name any of the Scotland scorers when we last appeared in a major competition at France 98?
Stuart: John Collins or Craig Burley CORRECT!
9. I have I earned 72 caps for my country, I played in Scotland with Celtic and Motherwell and for Chelsea in England, I was born in 1965, who am I?
Stuart: Tom Boyd CORRECT!
10. Which Scottish side play their home matches at Borough Briggs?
Stuart: Elgin CORRECT!
Stuart: Lee Wilkie CORRECT!
Stuart: No Answer… WRONG! It’s Tosh McKinlay (He got it right, but well after the buzzer!)
Stuart: Paul McStay CORRECT!
Stuart: Lee McCulloch CORRECT!
Stuart’s total score: 14/15
Fantastic stuff from Stuart McClelland, as he takes the Edinburgh Derby honours, in a very high scoring encounter! That score moves him into second place, and only just missing out on top spot due to the ref blowing for time after he scored a late winner!
Next we are heading up to Clackmannanshire, as it’s the turn of Alloa fan Brian Roach to have his moment in the headlines. His team may be struggling towards the wrong end of the Championship table, but will the Wasps fan be able to sting the leaders next Thursday?…
Ladbrokes – #BackingScottishFootball
All Odds and Markets are correct as of the date of publishing.
Fancy a flutter? Sign up today to claim up to £50 in free bets.