Fitba Crazy Week Three – Livingston
Welcome along to the third edition in our series of Fitba Crazy, a celebration of good old fashioned terrace banter and a chance for fans north of the border to test their tartan trivia. We aim to take you round the grounds, stopping off to chat with fans of all 42 SPFL clubs.
How much do supporters in Scotland really know about their clubs and the national team?
We’re going to find out as we get closer to the fans across all four divisions of the SPFL.
Stepping up to the plate this week is David Black, as he reveals all about his undying love for Livingston. He is one of the main men over at The Lions’ Den fans forum.
He’s been sharing with us his passion for Livi and testing his knowledge of all things ‘fitba’…
– Describe your club in three words? A journalist’s dream
– Any pre-match superstitions? Nothing in particular, however, on one occasion when we made the long trip for an away day to Stranraer, a few of us ended up staying in the pub. We missed the game and Livi went on to record a club record victory so I should maybe do that again and we might see a repeat result!
– Best and worst player you have witnessed in your club’s shirt? Davie Bingham will always be my favourite player to have played for Livingston but hard to not opt for David Fernandez being the best. He was frightening in our first SPL season and then again in our CIS Cup campaign – just a pity Celtic ruined him…
Worst player is tough to nail down as we’ve had a fair number of rotters. In the Richard Gough era, he brought in a trio of Hungarians, one of whom was Attila Kriston. The guy claimed to be a central midfielder, but was around 7ft tall. He looked completely out of place – not to mention his lack of pace, energy or general footballing ability.
– What is the funniest thing you have witnessed at a football match? 40,000 Hibs fans leaving Hampden after we cruised to victory in the 2004 League Cup final made for humorous viewing.
– Why is your club better than every other club? There’s certainly never a dull moment at Livi, that’s for sure. There’s always some form of controversy lurking round the corner but we always seem to battle on through – last season’s Petrofac Cup win summing us up completely.
– What’s the single best thing about Scottish football? Currently, I’d argue the best thing about our game is the way it has thrived even after Glasgow Rangers went out of business. I remember reading week after week how the game wouldn’t survive but I genuinely believe there’s been a much better interest from fans of other clubs in Scotland especially with teams in the top flight having that chance to battle it out with Celtic – something Aberdeen seem to have pushed on with most.
– Best away day and why? Not one that many will agree but Ross County for me. An early rise, a halfway stop for a bite to eat, a few refreshments pre-match and we used to always have a great record in Dingwall before celebrating on the bus all the way home.
– Best chant you’ve ever heard on the terraces? Sometimes you’ve got to make the most of a bad situation. Just a few weeks back, as Morton went 4-0 up against us, their fans were giving us it with the “Easy! Easy!” chant. To which the Livi fans retorted with “We lose every week, we lose every weeeeek, you’re nothing special, we lose every week”.
– Which player from your division would you like in your team? Both are just new additions in the summer but I think the boys Waghorn and Tavernier both look class acts at Rangers. If I can’t be greedy and have both, I’d plump for Tavernier. In saying that, for old times sake, I’d take Iain “Beanie” Russell back at Livi from Queen of the South in a flash!
– Side you enjoy beating the most and why? Hands down, without doubt, Dundee. After ex-Arab Craig Easton popped up with a goal to grab us a draw against them on the last day of the season to save us and relegate them a few years back, they’ve had a bee in their bonnet with us. It now makes it even more enjoyable beating them – and singing about Hassan Kachloul in the process.
– What’s the most memorable game you’ve been to? It would be easy to plump for either of our cup wins or our venture in to the UEFA Cup, but for me, that first game in the SPL against Hearts will be a lasting memory. Who’da thunk it – Livi in the top flight, mixing it with the big boys and kick starting things by turning Hearts over. A great day and a fantastic start to a terrific season.
– Match day pie of choice – Scotch, Mince or Steak? It’s got to be Scotch – with lashings of brown sauce, all washed down with a Bovril. There’s yer dinner!
And here’s the quiz…
1. Which player stands as Livingston’s record signing at £60,000 from back in 2000?
David: Barry Wilson CORRECT!
2. Livingston won the 3rd division in their first ever season in the 1995-96 campaign, which two current Premiership teams did they beat to the title?
David: Ross County and Inverness CORRECT!
3. From which Scottish club did Livi the Spanish star David Fernandez?
David: Airdrieonians CORRECT!
4. Name the two overseas clubs that manager Mark Burchill played for in his career?
David: Esan United CORRECT! 1/2 Point (other was Enosis Neon)
5. Who were the two scorers when Livingston lifted the League Cup against Hibs in 2004?
David: Derek Lilley and Jamie McAllister CORRECT!
Scottish Football Section
6. Which former Hearts star is now the manager of League 2 side Berwick Rangers?
David: Colin Cameron CORRECT!
7. I played for various English sides including Derby, West Ham and Blackburn. I was capped 67 times for Scotland and scored 6 international goals, and I won the 1994 Scottish Cup with Dundee United…who am I?
David: Christian Dailly CORRECT!
8. Which Scottish club scored against Bayern Munich in Germany, before finally losing 2-1 in 1995?
David: Raith Rovers CORRECT!
9. Which Scottish league club play their games at Links Park?
David: Montrose CORRECT!
10. Which three nations were in Scotland’s group for the 1990 World Cup in Italy?
David: Brazil, Sweden and Costa Rica CORRECT!
David: Robert Snodgrass CORRECT!
David: Garry O’Connor CORRECT!
David: Nigel Quashie CORRECT!
David: Kevin Gallagher CORRECT!
David: Graeme Murty CORRECT!
David’s total score: 14.5/15
We have a new leader, what a fantastic total from Mr Black! Next we are heading to the capital, and it’ll be the turn of Hearts fan Andrew-Henry Bowie to have his moment in the spotlight. that is a lofty total to have to beat…
All Odds and Markets are correct as of the date of publishing.
Fancy a flutter? Sign up today to claim up to £50 in free bets.