The Professor’s World Cup XI: Opening Games Quiz answers
Having tested your wits against the Professor once again, check out all the answers to our World Cup Open Games quiz below and see how you scored!
1. Who scored for Senegal against France at the 2002 World Cup?
Papa Bouba Diop
2. Which former Manchester City and Derby County star played in the opening game of the 2006 World Cup?
3. Name the last South American team to suffer defeat in a World Cup opener?
Bolivia – They lost 1-0 to Germany in 1994
4. In what year did Italy last feature in the first game of a World Cup?
Italy played in the opening game of the 1986 World Cup, drawing 1-1 with Bulgaria.
5. Two future Premier League stars with the same surname came face to face in the opening game in 2002? Can you name them?
Aliou Cisse and Djibril Cisse
6. Brazil beat Scotland 2-1 in the first game at France 98, with the winner coming courtesy of an own goal – who was credited with the strike?
7. And which ex-Monaco and Fulham star scored Scotland’s goal?
8. Which two former Tottenham players featured for South Africa in their 2010 curtain-raiser against Mexico?
Steven Pienaar and Bongani Khumalo
9. Which World Cup-winning manager was in charge of the Bafana Bafana at the time?
Carlos Alberto Perreira
10. Who is the only player to have been a goalscorer and a manager for the same national team in separate opening games of a World Cup?
Jurgen Klinsmann – He scored Germany’s only goal in the opening game of the 1994 World Cup and was in charge of Die Mannschaft in their 4-2 win over Costa Rica in 2006.
11. Who is this man?
Torsten Frings – a goalscorer for Germany in the 2006 opening game against Costa Rica.
How did you score?
1-2 – Time to go back to school.
2-4 – Good but not great.
5-7 – Woah! You’re half way there!
8-9 – You’re a World Cup all-star!
10-11 – We’re very, very impressed
All Odds and Markets are correct as of the date of publishing.
Fancy a flutter? Sign up today to claim up to £100 in free bets.