Welcome along to the first in our series of Fitba Crazy, a celebration of football fandom north of the border and a chance to indulge in some throwaway trivia. We aim to take you round the grounds, stopping off to chat with fans of all 42 clubs.
How much do supporters in Scotland really know about their clubs and the national team?
We’re going to find out as we get closer to the fans across all four divisions of the SPFL.
And it all starts off with Kilmarnock nut, Barry Richmond, one of the main men over at Killiefc.com.
He’s been sharing with us his passion for Killie and testing his knowledge of all things ‘fitba’…
– Describe your club in three words? Believe to Achieve
– Any pre-match superstitions? I don’t go near Killie on my football coupon for starters, but other than that all I do is make sure I have a shower in the morning and put on clean breeks…that’s nothing particularly to do with the football, it’s a lesson in basic hygiene for anyone south of Symington reading this.
– What is the funniest thing you have witnessed at a football match? I can’t remember any particular incident offhand but St Mirren’s Paisley Panda was always great for a laugh.
– Best away day and why? Trips to Tynecastle are usually a treat…nothing to do with us winning our only title there, which was well before my time. We just seem to get results and the stands give the place a great match atmosphere.
– Best and worst player you have witnessed in your club’s shirt? It is very close between Tommy Burns, Ian Durrant and Alexei Eremenko but Tommy gets my vote…technically excellent, full of heart and an inspiration to us all. There have been plenty of duds at the club since I’ve been going. John McEachran was like a house end and scored his only goal with his back side, left back (sadly not in the dressing room) Gary Tallon must be a candidate as well.
– Why is your club better than every other club? Purely because it’s my home town club…I have no illusions about us being world beaters.
– What’s the single best thing about Scottish football? Most of the fans have a good sense of humour and don’t take everything too seriously. That’s certainly the case these days anyway.
– Best chant you’ve ever heard on the terraces? There have been a few…”We hate Glasgow more than you”, “Stand up, if you can’t sit down” (at Sommerset) and Durrant’s “He’s blue, he’s white, he used to play for….” was always amusing.
– Which player from your division would you like in your team? Greg Kiltie! Killie fans will know what I mean.
– Side you enjoy beating the most and why? It used to be Ayr but they’ve been plumbing the depths so long now that they’ve become a bit insignificant. I get most satisfaction out of putting one over any of the two big teams from Glasgow – Partick Thistle or Celtic! They think they have a right to beat you so it’s even better when they don’t.
– What’s the most memorable game you’ve been to? I suppose I should say the League Cup final win over Celtic at Hampden in 2012. But then again I don’t really remember much of that. One that does stick out was the ’97 Scottish Cup semi-final replay win over Dundee United at Easter Road. David Bagan’s corner, a John Henry cut-back, and Jim McIntyre slotting it in to the back of the net from four yards. I couldn’t sleep that night thinking that we were actually going to a cup final.
– Match Day Pie of choice – Scotch, Mince or Steak? Say aye tae a Killie Pie…there is no other choice.
And here’s the quiz…
1. Can you name one of the two national teams that former gaffer Bobby Williamson has managed?
Barry: I’ll go for both. Uganda and Kenya CORRECT!
2. Which 1997 Kilmarnock Cup Winner is now manager Queen’s Park?
Barry: Gus MacPherson CORRECT!
3. Despite being Kilmarnock’s home for well over 100 years, Rugby Park is actually the club’s fourth home. Name any of the other three grounds they have played at?
Barry: Barbados Road? WRONG! Ward’s Park, Holm Quarry and The Grange
4. Kris Boyd is currently enjoying his third spell with the club, but how many goals in total has he scored for Killie? Is it 81, 89 or 95?
Barry: 89 CORRECT!
5. Kilmarnock beat bitter rivals Ayr in the 2012 League Cup semi-final, who scored the extra time winner?
Barry: Dean Shiels CORRECT!
Scottish Football Section
6. Who beat Alloa 4-0 to lift last season’s Challenge Cup?
Barry: Livingston CORRECT!
7. Who is currently Scotland’s leading scorer in Euro 2016 qualifying action?
Barry: Steven Fletcher WRONG! It’s Shaun Maloney.
8. Who joined Rangers from Chelsea for a Scottish record transfer fee of £12.5m in 2000?
Barry: Tore Andre Flo CORRECT!
9. I have a record number of English Premier League appearances for a Scot (325), I earned 57 caps for my country and I recently joined the coaching team at Liverpool, who am I?
Barry: Gary McAllister CORRECT!
10. Who scored the winning goal the only time the Champions League final was held in Scotland?
Barry: Zinedine Zidane CORRECT!
Barry: John Collins CORRECT!
Barry: Don’t know! WRONG! It’s Stephen McManus.
Barry: Steven Whittaker CORRECT!
Barry: Colin Calderwood CORRECT!
Barry: Maurice Malpas CORRECT!
Barry’s total score: 12/15
Top effort. Up next week is Colin Inglis from Killie’s bitter rivals Ayr. Will he knock him off top spot?
Keep an eye out for more Fitba Crazy features in the coming weeks!
Fancy a flutter? Sign up today to claim up to £50 in free bets.