Get ready for Kingman v Night of Thunder III on day one of Royal Ascot with both superstar three-year-olds bidding for glory in the St. James’s Palace Stakes.
Night of Thunder got the better of his rival to land the English 2000 Guineas and reverse the form following a comprehensive defeat in the Greenham earlier in the spring.
But which charge will come out on top this time and is it worth looking past the market leaders?
The King of Stats is back to provide you with all the ammunition you’ll need ahead of the feature race.
– Each of the last 10 winners were priced 9/1 or below. This is one for the favourites so forget about Outstrip, Prince of All and Yuften. Making up the numbers is an understatement.
– Just to reinforce our first point, seven out of the previous 10 victors were favourites. Despite his 2000 Guineas defeat, Kingman is being strongly backed to overcome re-opposing rival Night of Thunder.
– Don’t be too hasty to write off the rest? Trainer Aidan O’Brien has won four of the past 12 renewals, with three winners and four placed-horses from 10 runners since 2004 and saddles War Command.
– Seven of the last 10 winners had won a Group 1 race before. That potentially brings Toormore right into the mix with trainer Richard Hannon’s second string winning at the highest level in last autumn’s Vincent O’Brien National Stakes at the Curragh.
– Four of the last 10 St. James’s Palace victors had won a group race as a two-year-old at Ascot. Another tick in the box for last year’s Coventry Stakes winner, War Command.
– Nine of the last 10 winners had raced in the previous 30 days. Can you name the one horse in this year’s race to have done so? You guessed it – Kingman.
Our winner: Kingman
Watch Kingman put in a superb performance to land the Irish 2000 Guineas at the Curragh!
Back a winner at 4/1 or greater on mobile and get a free bet on ALL Ascot races!*
*For full Terms and Conditions please click here.
All Odds and Markets are correct as of the date of publishing.
Fancy a flutter? Sign up today to claim up to £100 in free bets.