Call him predictable but The Professor can only see one outcome when Newcastle host Manchester United in their midweek Premier League clash.
Using all known logic and statistics, it’s not likely to be entertaining fare and our bearded genius is plumping for an away victory by the slimmest of margins.
Cop out? Perhaps. But as ever the proof will be in the proverbial pudding and it’s up to the Toon Army and one of their own, @JackPaisleyNE40, to convince us otherwise.
It’s been a while since the Prof last pitted his wits against an intrepid fan so we’ll soon see if there are any signs of ring rust.
As ever our contestant been given a £25 FREE BET to use as he wishes ahead of the big game.
And in terms of the competition’s format, it’s pretty simple.
For each correct pick, the entrant will be awarded the odds paid out on that selection.
For example, a correct 20/1 selection will reward 20 points. There will be no penalty for an incorrect selection.
Here’s how they’re calling it:
And this is how our self-appointed King of Stats has come to his conclusions…
Newcastle have lost their last four games in all competitions 1-0. Five of Man United’s nine Premier League wins have come by a single goal.
The Red Devils have been quicker out of the blocks away from home but expect the initial period at St. James’ Park to be fairly devoid of action. Nervy Newcastle have only scored three goals in their last five home games and United can nick this late on.
Wayne Rooney has netted 12 goals past Newcastle in his career and has scored in both of his previous appearances. Hardly earth-shattering but he gets the nod ahead of strike partner, Anthony Martial.
How do you think they’ll get on? Join in the conversation via @Ladbrokes!
Terms and Conditions summary:
– One chosen fan blogger, will be contacted and asked if they’d like to take part before receiving their £25 FREE BET and choosing their selections.
– Ladbrokes News Team will then inform the participant of their selections so that both parties are fully aware of what’s been chosen in advance to kick off.
– After the chosen game we will add up scores and make the blogger aware of the outcome in a news story.
– Scores will be settled based on the pre-match odds given directly before kick-off of the stated game.
– The four semi-finalists will go head-to-head in a knockout format to win the Take On #TheProfessor trophy at the end of the season.
– The chosen candidate will have 24 hours to get back to us with their selections before we look for another contender.
– The promoter is Ladbrokes Sportsbook LP, a limited partnership registered in Gibraltar, number 44, whose registered office is 57/63 Line Wall Road, Gibraltar.
For full Terms and Conditions please click here:
All Odds and Markets are correct as of the date of publishing.
Fancy a flutter? Sign up today to claim up to £50 in free bets.