If domestic performances may be falling below expectations, then Leicester City fans can at least take great joy in their exploits so far in their first Champions League campaign. But this week the Foxes face arguably their toughest encounter yet.
The reigning Premier League champions host Danish giants – and European regulars – FC Copenhagen, having won each of their opening two Group G matches to nil.
It’s a situation which is in stark contrast to Leicester’s domestic form.
Having to face Liverpool, Manchester United and Chelsea in three of your first four away games may have been a cruel blow from the fixture list Gods, but the manner in which Leicester loss all three contests was a surprise to football fans and a concern for Ranieri.
The latest of which – a drab 3-0 loss at Chelsea – means Leicester are the first team to lose the first four away games of their title defence since Blackburn in 1995.
But Jamie Vardy and co are seeing no such struggles in Europe, dishing out a 3-0 defeat to Club Brugge on their debut, before impressively defeating 2004 champions Porto as the King Power played host to continental football for the first time.
It’s little surprise to see Leicester installed as favourites by the bookies at 17/20, knowing that victory would already put them within touching distance of the knockout stages.
But their Danish opponents must be respected at 10/3.
Stale Stolbakken’s men are the only unbeaten side left in the Superliga, an impressive feat considering they are 13 games in.
Eight wins and five draws have seen the capital club open a five-point gap at the top, thanks to a defence which has kept eight clean sheets, conceding just six goals in total.
Furthermore, Copenhagen had to come through three qualifying rounds to reach the Champions League group stages, and they’ve yet to taste defeat.
An opening 1-1 draw at Porto was followed up with a 4-0 hammering of Brugge, and like Leicester, they too know a win would all but keep them in the competition post-Christmas.
Given the strength of the opponents – and Leicester’s ropey defence – the 10/3 on a home win and both teams to score could be a rewarding avenue to pursue.
Ranieri will be hoping that the decision to bench star man Riyad Mahrez on Saturday pays dividends, with the rested Algerian 9/2 to score first.
Copenhagen may not carry the gravitas of a Porto, but they’re in stunning form and a victory over Leicester could threaten to derail the Foxes’ season before October is even over.
Plus, having a bet on the big Champions League game?
Bet £20 In-Play on Leicester v FC Copenhagen and get a free £10 In-Play Bet on Barcelona v Man City!*
Mobile or Tablet only. Minimum odds of 1/2. See below for full Terms and Conditions.
1. Place a bet of £/€20 or more in-play on Leicester City v FC Copenhagen (KO 19:45) on Tuesday 18th October at minimum odds of 1/2. You will then receive a free IN-PLAY bet of £/€10 to redeem on Barcelona v Man City (Wednesday 19th October, KO 19:45).
2. In-play bets that are Cashed Out will not qualify for the offer.
3. Provided you place a Single in-play bet of £/€20 or more on Leicester City v FC Copenhagen which meets the qualifying criteria, you will then receive the £/€10 free bet, regardless of other in-play bets placed on the game.
4. Offer is available to new and existing MOBILE OR TABLET CUSTOMERS ONLY. Offer does NOT apply to customers betting online, through sms, via telephone or to shop customers.
5. Only one in-play free bet value issued of £/€10. One per customer.
6. The £/€10 free bet will be paid into your account at the kick-off of Barcelona v Man City.
7. You must be aged 18 years or over to bet and participate in this promotion.
8. Void bets do not count.
9. Bets placed with Free Bets do not count towards the offer.
10. Free Bets can be redeemed through Online, Mobile or Telebetting.
11. The Free Bet can only be redeemed on an in-play bet on Barcelona v Man City.
12. Free Bets must be used in their entirety as a Win Single and cannot be split into multiple stakes. A Free Bet cannot be partially redeemed. If you attempt to place a bet for a lesser total stake than the value of your Free Bet, the remaining value of the Free Bet will be void.
13. Free Bets are non-refundable. Stakes will not be returned on winning bets placed with Free Bets.
14. Free Bets cannot be redeemed on any other online product or event including other Football events.
15. Redeemed Free Bets will not count toward qualification to view streamed events.
16. Free Bets do not count towards qualifying for any other promotional offers.
17. Bets placed on Ladbrokes Exchange do not qualify for the promotion.
18. Ladbrokes reserves the right, at its discretion, to exclude individual customers from this and other promotions, including money back and Free Bet offers.
19. Ladbrokes accepts no responsibility for system or connection problems that might affect any end user during the promotion.
20. Offer is open to customers living in the UK and Republic of Ireland only.
21. Ladbrokes may determine at its sole discretion whether it believes different entries or accounts are connected to the same person, using whatever methods it deems appropriate.
22. In the event of a breach of these terms and conditions, Ladbrokes reserves the right to take such action as it deems appropriate in its absolute discretion.
23. The promoter is Ladbrokes Sportsbook LP, a limited partnership registered in Gibraltar, number 44, whose registered office is 57/63 Line Wall Road, Gibraltar.
PLEASE BET RESPONSIBLY. gambleaware.co.uk
All Odds and Markets are correct as of the date of publishing